Palkonya is a one-street village located at the northeastern end of the Villány Mountains, Winecountry.

Palkonya still faithfully preserves the 18th century German architectural culture of German viticulturists. The most famous monument complex of the village is the cellar row of 53 press houses covering the hillside of the village. In the village half of the living houses are locally protected monuments, and as a result of the architectural heritage protection program, their facades are decorated with “Protected” ceramic moldings. Palkonya is surrounded by three fishponds, which are rich in birdlife and tranquility that will provide a refreshing experience for those who go hiking. There are several marked hiking trails in the area, and there is the international “Three Rivers” cycling hiking trail.

The most popular festival in Palkonya is the “Pentecostal Open Cellars”, which awaits its guests with wine tasting, cultural events, children’s programs and horse-drawn carriage rides. Palkonya has several  festivals: the Hú! SVÉT gastro festival in  April, the Palkonya Wine Runing compatition in spring, the Harvest Open Cellars in September, and the Martin’s Day in November. The first Ördögkatlan All-Art Festival was held in 2008, and was held every year in the first week of August until 2016. Of course, in the village’s family wineries wine tasting is unavoidable. This year’s events >>>

The emblematic red domed Catholic church of the village was built by the Batthyány family and dedicated in 1816 in honor of St. Elizabeth. The red domed church, which can be seen from afar, is one of the most beautiful examples of the circular churches in Hungary.  In addition, you will enjoy the unparalleled panorama of Palkonya, which walks up the “Weingarten” vineyard of Palkonya, where the newly built and dedicated 2007 Saint Bertalan’s Chapel is located. In 2016, the Community Herbarium and Training Center was completed. The village was the first in Hungary to become the European Cultural Village in 2007. Palkonya is a founding member of the European Cultural Village Movement, established in 1999 in the Dutch Wijk aan Zee. The villages of 12 European countries have an active cultural and friendly relationship with each other. The aim of the movement is to emphasize the legitimacy of village life, to nurture and share the values ​​and culture of the villages. Among the 12 villages, Palkonya is the smallest settlement.

Palkonya belongs to the Villány wine region with a long history.

You can find mostly small and medium-sized family wineries : Attila Blázsovics, János Haraszti, Balázs Hárságyi, Róbert Mayen, Zsolt Fenyvesi, Mihály Takács, Zsirai and Mokos Winery, Németh and Németh Cellar. Our winemakers have won numerous gold medals at the Villány Wine Competition.

The village has many interesting artists and creators who have moved here over the last ten years: sculptor-ceramic master Judit Major, ceramicist Gerald Kaske, restorer György Kiss, sculptor Katalin Tábori, Friends of Finnish Fine Arts (film, textile, painter, sculptor) ), † Photographer Leonóra Becker. In addition, many interesting people live in our community, such as Balázs Hárságyi and Szilvia Rechnitzer, who breed turtles and truffles, or Nóra Ottmár, who opened a delicatessen house in the village, from the local delicacies, and Zoltán Pauli it offers local flavors from local ingredients.

History of Palkonya

Palkonya is a relatively old settlement. The first document mentioning Palkonya dates back to 1296. At that time the village belonged to the Kéménd estate, which was owned by Konrad of the Győr family. For centuries, owners have often changed hands, and the population is hardly searchable.

Bővebben

After the most important Battle of Mohács in 1526 against Turkish Army, Hungary was under Turkish rule for one and a half centuries. The old tax arches show that during the Turkish rule the population was very low. In 1554 the village belonged to the district of Harsány and paid the Turkish tax collector tax on 7 houses. In 1687, at the time of the Battle of Nagyharsány (also known as the Second Battle of Mohács), when the Turkish were defeated and expelled permanently from Hungary, the village had 8 houses and 20 inhabitants. The population was engaged in agriculture and viticulture. The arable land was 100 acres and the village had 100 pieces Grapes. This document is the first to mention viticulture. During the Turkish rule, part of the population was destroyed as a result of the campaigns, and some of them fled or were deported. Although the first German families settled in Baranya in the 1930s, as a resident of Palkonya, the first German name was introduced in the register of the parish of Újpetre in 1745. The parish itself was established this year. Previously, the village belonged to the parish of Siklós. The first German names appear in the land register in 1748. It follows that 20 German, 1 Hungarian and 2 Serbian-Croatian families joined the village. By 1757 the village had 133 devotees.

To replace the depopulated population, large-scale settlements of the German and Serbian Croats along the Danube and Transdanubia began in the 1930s and the following years. According  tradition, the first settlers were victims of the cholera epidemic. This view seems to be supported by the fact that only Mayer, Müller and Schmidt were later found in the first names. Although the village was inhabited almost exclusively by Germans for two centuries, by 1880-1910, 7-34, and in 1920 already 149, declared themselves to be Hungarian. During World War II, German Swabians were resettled and replaced by Hungarian families. Today, the Hungarian and German populations live side by side. The work and the common worries brought the villagers together.

arrow_upward